Going to church this morning, I was touched by the sermon. It's the beginning of the Advent season (and our church is not holding Wednesday night advent services, much to my dismay!) Christmas is more than the "mood" of Christmas - the decorations, the food, the holiday songs on the radio.
Working in retail, I've started to really begrudge the Christmas season. I'm six hours away from home, so I will be missing out on multiple Christmas parties and traditions back home since I will be required to work - I will be in the stores December 17th through December 26th. We've been talking about our Christmas product and assortments and markdowns since July. The Christmas trees have been up in the stores since October. I haven't even bought any presents yet and threw my own Christmas tree up in one afternoon mid-November since I knew I wouldn't have time during the month of December. Like one of my co-workers said on break last week: "I can't wait until Christmas is over."
But Pastor Pakora reminded me this morning, that while its a bummer that I will be missing out on some of these Christmas traditions, and I will be tired of working by the end of the month, the true meaning and the true spirit of Christmas is what is important and what I need to remember. It's hard when retail is on my mind 40+ hours a week and my company is seeing dollar signs, but I have to keep Christmas sacred.
Something big is coming. Something important - the coming of Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment